The CSO has published the 2008 figures on probation recidivism figures.
- Over 40% of persons on probation re-offend within three years;
- The recidivism rate was slightly lower for those on Community Service Orders (38.4% versus 42.3% of those on probation orders);
- In 2008, 3,761 persons received either CSOs or probation orders;
- Recidivism rates were higher for males than females, and were higher for younger persons;
- Recidivism rates varied by offence;
- The overall recidivism rate had fallen since 2007, from 48.9% to 41% overall;
See the report here.